It was 3:33 am in Louisiana and 4:33 in Cincinnati.

Several years ago 4:30 am found me in a hospital bed at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio after major abdominal surgery. Unable to pray for others or myself I asked God to have someone somewhere pray for me right then. My surgeon’s assistant was scheduled for morning rounds and she had notified the nurses she planned to perform a nasal gastric intubation in spite of the surgeon’s decision against the procedure. I knew the assistant had pushed my surgeon to perform the procedure earlier in the day but he had refused to even consider the procedure until it had been 72 hrs or longer after my surgery. The surgeon’s assistant planned to take advantage of my surgeon’s absence to perform the intubation procedure. The night nurse explained the procedure and told me what to expect. The procedure would cause more discomfort, nausea, etc than I was already experiencing. The nurse also explained I had the right to refuse the procedure. Refusing the procedure would be a battle of wills and I would need strength to make my refusal clear and definite.

Miserable, and unable to sleep even after taking pain and sleeping meds, I struggled with the IV pole and its various lines while I got out of bed and made myself comfortable in the so-called reclining chair near my bed. Finally, I could sleep! The nurse came in, checked on me and said to stay where I was comfortable. I woke to the voice of the surgeon’s assistant outside my room asking if I had been prepared for the intubation procedure. At the sound of her voice, a sudden almost violent cramping sensation welled up within me. Frantically I pushed the call button for help to the bathroom. Eventually the nurse helped me back to the bed where a very frustrated surgeon’s assistant stood waiting for me. She asked what had happened and then whirled to leave the room. She stomped across the room then stopped, turned and held up her index and thumb so that they almost touched. “You were this close to me running that tube down you” and stalked out. My nurse and I were relieved! The nurses had argued with the surgeon’s assistant during the night about the procedure; but surgeon’s assistant was determined to perform the procedure while the surgeon was out of town.


This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-ND

That afternoon my oldest daughter called. A friend of hers was very insistent my daughter get a message to me. The friend had awakened very suddenly and the clock read 3:33 AM. She sensed an overwhelming need to pray right that moment and I came to mind. Knowing I had just gone through a major surgery; she prayed specifically for me till she knew God had heard and she had the assurance everything would be OK. My daughter’s friend had never experienced anything like this so she called my daughter to see if I was OK. The friend was very insistent I be told it was 3:33 am when she was praying for me. My daughter told her friend about times she remembered Mom (me) saying Jeremiah 33:3 was God’s call to prayer. She told the friend about remembering when I would look at the clock see the time was 3:33 and stop what I was doing while I asked the Lord what or who He wanted me to pray for. Then I would pray till I knew God heard. Only when my daughter told me her friend was an hour behind Cincinnati did I remembered looking at the clock at 4:33 AM in Cincinnati when I asked my Heavenly Father to have someone pray for me.

Photos Creative Commons License

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.